Sunday, March 24, 2013

Happy Spring!


Happy Sunday!!

I apologize for it being so lengthy since my last post, it has been a very busy month!  Not only did I find the gown of my dreams for Miss Iowa, but I also spoke at the National Eating Disorder Awareness Day event in Des Moines on March 2nd.  What a wonderful and inspiring event.  Each time I am able to tell my story of recovery, I feel myself accomplishing the plan God has for me.  Although experiencing an eating disorder was a life threatening and devastating time in my life, I would not change it for anything.  Each day I see myself grow into the special creation God has intended for me to be and I find myself helping others discover the same amazing light that sometimes is not so easy to see.  My favorite part of speaking is being able to connect with others.  Answering questions and letting them know my personal story and feelings so they can grasp that it doesn’t always have to define you nor be a downward spiral.  I think that is what made Eating Disorder Awareness Day so inspiring.  There is one young girl I was able to help that I still remain in contact with.  She had a story very similar to mine.  Being able to guide her through the first steps of admitting and accepting her eating disorder was life changing.  I could see myself in her.  She wants to fight and wants to recover.  My heart goes out to her and all the hard work she is doing to fight this deadly illness.  At the end of the day we all gathered in a circle and released balloons in memory of those who have not survived, in celebration of those recovered and in thought of those currently struggling.  What an impact that had while watching hundreds of balloons be guided by the wind in many different directions, yet all with one destination in mind... up.  My grandma always says “Chin up Izzy, chin up.”  I take that everywhere I go.  Leading up to March 2nd, I was able to spread more awareness and hope by being on News Channel 8’s morning show and also on Star 102.5 radio.  I then was able to tape a 30 second PSA that airs on the Muscatine Radio.  Having the opportunity to spread God’s love, light and hope is surreal.  I also had the pleasure of going to the Muscatine Book Fair at McKinley Elementary, a National Blue Ribbon School, where I was able to donate a children’s book by Tana Goertz titled “I’m Bigger Than This”.  Truly a touching and encouraging book!  I met the principal and signed many binders, hands, arms, books and more! Children are a true blessing to this world.  As I mentioned before, I did find the gown of the my dreams... Happy Birthday to me! (I celebrated my 24 birthday the day before I found my dress). It was not what I expected to feel like an absolute rockstar in, but the minute I put it on there was no question about if it was the right one or not.  I would sleep in it if I could! I also was able to buy all of my wardrobe for Miss Iowa week! As much as I love to shop, I am glad that is out of the way.  Now I can keep focusing on my platform and training for my talent.  Watching my dance evolve has been so exciting! I can see myself getting stronger and definitely can feel it! Doing one handed push ups is a liberating feeling.  My brother is a marathon runner and I think I might be able to keep up with him in the gym! Last week I was on B100 Radio with Red Hot and Tucker which was an absolute blast.  Not only are they funny and entertaining, they are also very humble.  That weekend I then attended a JDRF Charity Event for a little girl named Ellie.  She has type one diabetes and is probably one of the strongest little girls I know.  Her smile lights up an entire room.  I presented her with her very own sash, crown and “I’m Bigger Than This” book.  It was themed around Zumba and we danced the afternoon away!  Congratulations Ellie on being such a humble and strong girl.  You are a gift from heaven.  This next weekend I fly to New York to work with a coach on walking! Being new to pageantry, I am not afraid to say I do need a little help in the walking department.  Hopefully we will be able to get down to Atlantic City so I can see the official home of The Miss America Organization!  An absolute dream come true would be competing there for Miss America in September.  Fingers Crossed!!! I don’t know about you all, but I am ready for summer!! Enough with the snow. Happy Spring! 

Blessings,
Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment