Hi everyone!
I have been so anxious to fill you all in on what has been happening the last few weeks! I think the best part about this job is that I am able to go be at a school one day and then the next day discussing legislation with Congressman. To some, that may sound crazy, but I absolutely LOVE it! My week started of great by being invited to speak at Waukee High School where 60 students gathered to hear my journey and walk through my eating disorder. Each time I feel myself getting more and more comfortable with sharing the valley’s I have been in, knowing I am possibly helping someone through their journey. The students were very interested in how media skewed images and why that was so prominent. It was fun to share with them my view from being in the industry for 3 years when I lived in Los Angeles, California. By the end, I think they realized just how distorted a majority of those images were. I love when they ask questions... I know they are listening and hopefully learning from my mistakes. That weekend was Miss Iowa orientation!! What an extraordinary experience! Everyone was so kind and welcoming, especially the interview judges. They all made me feel right at home and truly seemed to take interest in my platform. That is one of the best feelings that I can hardly describe... To have even the slightest opportunity to tell someone my story and the that there is an opportunity to come out of that valley with the help of God is surreal. I was able to meet the other contestants who were absolutely STUNNING. I can’t wait for Miss Iowa week!! I’m so excited to get to know all the girls and work on our stage production with Ken Kenny. I think performing is one of my favorite things to do! The lovely Mariah Cary also blessed us with her presence which was so great to get her view on this whole process. She gave me two pieces of advice: Don’t over pack and don’t over think. I LOVE IT! It is so true. My favorite part was getting to spend time with my board and watching it all come together. Overall it was a WONDERFUL weekend! Bring on Miss Iowa week!!! The following Tuesday I was apart of the Trinity Muscatine Health Fair which was an honor. I was able to meet so many different people and it was so interesting to see their reaction to my story. Being able to connect with a stranger in a way that not many people can understand is truly a gift from God. Especially when you walk away feeling joyful and blessed. At the health fair, I was also able to spend time with the Muscatine Radio crew!! I love how every opportunity they have, they allow me to talk about my platform on the air. Just incase you were not able to hear, I shared that I had indeed put on 10 pounds since Miss Muscatine. What a testimony that the scale DOES NOT MATTER. My clothes still fit and I can now do more pushups and leap higher then ever before! I am in the best shape of my life! THANK YOU to my trainer BRUCE BROWN!!! After the fair, I went over the Channel 9 and shot a one on one talk show segment with Bob. It will be aired this weekend at noon, 5pm and 11pm. I was able to discuss my journey to Miss Iowa and of course, my platform Indulging in Hope! To top off the week, I had the honor of meeting with Congressman Latham after he introduced a new piece of legislation called the School Modernization Act. It is a bill geared towards modernizing kitchens in schools across Iowa to fight childhood obesity. After the presentation, I was able to speak with Congressman Latham about Indulging in Hope and the FREED Act. After listening to how passionate he was about children’s health, I knew we would make a great team. We took pictures and I ALMOST got him to wear my crown and sash. That would have been a picture for the WhiteHouse! Maybe next time :-) I hope you are all having a great weekend! I am sitting next to the fire after doing my final alterations for my Miss Iowa gown and selecting the sarong I will be using during swimwear. EEEEEK! Only 34 days until the new Miss Iowa is crowned!! Prayers please!
Blessings,
Isabella
No comments:
Post a Comment