In 4 days, I will be finished student teaching...
In 11 days, I will be graduating with my Masters...
In 28 days, I will be turning 23...
In 40 days, a new Miss Iowa will be crowned...
I think it is pretty safe to say that I have some big things happening.
1. Everyone is so loyal to Iowa--Wherever I go, I always have someone yell "Go HAWKS!" I love being part of this Hawkeye family. I have had strangers come up to many while wearing Iowa gear just to tell me they love the school. Just recently while I was in Florida, I had someone give me a "Go Hawks!". It is so awesome to be surround by others who bleed black and gold.
2. Everyone is willing to help--Just this past weekend, I had the WORST day. I was driving to the post office when all my mail got caught up in the wind and scattered EVERYWHERE in the parking lot. I was frantically running around to pick up the papers when a woman approached me and let me know that my front right tire looked a little low. Low and behold, I had a flat tire. On top of that, I had 10% battery on my phone, which allowed me to call my parents but died shortly after. I took out my spare, the tools necessary, and then started pumping away when an elderly gentleman came by and asked if he could help me. I told him that my dad had taught me how to change a tire so I was okay but he insisted on staying. He was wearing hawkeye gear (just like me) which got us talking about what I am studying. I found out that his daughter went through the same MAT program as me and is now a chemistry teacher in Alaska! How cool! Trying to be respectful of his time, I thanked him, but he told me that the only place he had to be at was his granddaughters soccer game and he would rather help me and supervise. I was so incredibly thankful and I was overwhelmed with his kindness to help a complete stranger.
3. The University of Iowa ROCKS--As a student, I have had various teachers, and I can honestly say that all of them have been wonderful. Each and every one of them has impacted me in one way or another. I am so grateful for their constant encouragement, words of wisdom, and time that they put aside to work with their students. I love this school and I can't believe that I am finally finsihing up...unless I go back for a PhD :) As a tour guide, a student, and an employee, I have loved Iowa's welcoming campus and its people.
4. The sense of community is so important--Just recently, a student from West High in Iowa City passed away due to brain cancer. As a practicum student, I got to know a little bit about Austin's case and his courageous battle. Austin inspired an entire community with his courage and his willingness to kick cancer's butt. Not only did students of West High mourn the loss of Austin, but the entire Iowa City community. Tons of articles and words of hope were posted in effort to spread word about Austin's story and how he made a difference in the short 15 years he had. I love that community is so incredibly important in Iowa. Like we say in Dance Marathon, "Cancer is horrible, but cancer cannot touch our minds, it cannot touch our souls, and it cannot touch our hearts." Prayers to his family and friends.
5. Schools are dedicated to making a difference--Between student teaching at Linn-Mar, having practicum at both Iowa City West High and Regina Middle School, and volunteering at City High, I have confidence that our schools are dedicated to making a difference in students lives. On top of that, I have worked with various STEM partners and professors in Iowa and they too are pushing to make a difference in the schools. I love teaching. It has been so rewarding and I cannot wait to have my own chemistry classroom!
Thank you Iowa for being so good to me :) I hope to continue giving back to this great state by continuing to represent Muscatine and Iowa! Cheers to these next couple of crazy weeks! Enjoy the sun!
XOXO
Kristen One
Miss Muscatine
No comments:
Post a Comment