Sunday, December 13, 2015

Happy Holidays!

Hi all,

First of all, I know I know....it's been forever since I've written and I'M SORRY! My life has been an absolute whirlwind.  Between going to the National Sweetheart Pageant, starting teaching at Stevenson, traveling, the Iowa Hawkeye's going undefeated to the Big 10 Championship, Thanksgiving, and gearing up for the holidays, I barely have had a second to catch my breath! That being said, I am so excited that I finally have a moment to sit down and write about what has been going on.

Okay, so the National Sweetheart Pageant...
What an amazing, incredible, wonderful, and special experience. I seriously cannot say ENOUGH about my week in Hoopeston, Illinois. To be honest, as I was prepping to leave for Sweetheart, I was seriously stressed out. Taking a whole week off of school as a new teacher was absolutely insane but I am so glad that I did it! I met incredible women from all over the nation (including fellow teachers who also stressed over sub plans) who have become sisters for life. These women are talented, beautiful, true sweethearts, and above all, real. When I say real, I mean that these women are as weird as I am. Oregon can speak Klingon, Alaska tells wild moose jokes, New Jersey gets the "sleepy ha-has" (I know...I never heard of it before either), Rhode Island is sassy, Tennessee's Chicago accent was awful, and many would rather show up in sweats and a t-shirt than a face full of makeup and a gown.  The list goes on and on and I LOVE IT. Throughout the week, I bonded with these ladies who have forever impacted me. I already have big plans to visit all of them- especially now that I have somewhere to stay. To me, it is extraordinary that you can meet a group of complete strangers on a Monday and then leave sobbing on a Sunday because you've become so close with 43 very special women. Since Sweetheart, I have already flown to Missouri to reunite with our Missouri and Nevada Sweetheart. I wish all the sweethearts didn't live so far away! Because of it...I am also in the midst of making plans for a sweetheart reunion :) Many of the girls have already won new local titles....so watch out Miss America you have some AMAZING girls coming your way this year! Thank you to everyone who made their way out to Hoopeston, IL to watch me compete against some of the very best, it was amazing to finish in the top five. I couldn't believe the announcer kept calling me name! I was honored to represent the wonderful state of Iowa and even more in awe of all the love and support I received. Thank you thank you thank you!



Since then, everything has been absolutely crazy. There have been a few hiccups in the road, like my car going into a ditch on my way to Iowa to watch the game... but overall, I'm happy to update you that everything has been great, and I am so excited to be in the full swing of the holiday season. Classes have been wonderful, my students always keep me laughing, and they are prepping for first semester finals! What's even funnier is how eager my students are to find out more about Miss Iowa, competing again, etc. :) Between all my observations, meetings, and travels, it seems that time has flown by. I can barely believe that we are already in December! Being that we are already in December...the 50th anniversary of Miss Muscatine is approaching. This past weekend, we had orientation in Muscatine, and I had the chance to meet the contestants vying for the title of Miss Muscatine/Miss Pearl City 2016! Each and every girl was unique, talented, and I cannot wait to see them take the stage. Crazy to think I was in these girls shoes last year, competing for the the title. While it was great to see my fellow titleholders, Stacy, Christy, and Serica; it was also very bittersweet knowing that my year as Miss Muscatine is coming to an end very soon. I hope to see all of you at the 50th, where there are some great surprises, and where I will be sharing my final "thank you's" and farewell to the Miss Iowa Scholarship Program. I've had one hell of a year, and now it is time to figure out what's next for me, and to continue to enjoy promoting STEM in REAL every day life :)

You'll be hearing from me soon, at least before I become a former...



Happy Holidays!

Love always,
Kristen One
Miss Muscatine 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment