Tuesday, March 3, 2015

How far can your rocket fly?

Thanks to my snow day, I finally have some time to sit down and write about my fantastic weekend as Miss Muscatine! On Friday, I had the great fortune to participate in Penn's Elementary STEM night. For those of you who don't know, STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Over these past couple of years, the push for STEM education in schools has really grown. Thanks to the Governor's STEM advisory council and the new STEM programs, Iowa has really honed in on how to promote students interest in STEM education. Penn STEM night was so much fun because I got to work with my colleagues from the University of Iowa College of Education and I got to see one of the many teachers that has mentored me on my pathway to becoming a high school chemistry teacher. My colleagues and I wanted to look like the professional scientists that we are, and all matched in white lab coats which was picture perfect!


At our table, we had college of education pencils, paper for students to build their rockets, tape, and STEM pamphlets to pass out. It was so funny because once I looked at the pamphlets, I realized that I was on it! In the bottom right corner, there was a picture of one of my colleagues and I showing a sheep eye dissection lab at the Brain Awareness Day.

The rockets were a smashing hit and the kids loved trying to reinvent their rocket after they saw it fly the first time. It was amazing how creative some of the rockets were and some of them even flew extremely far! I was thrilled how successful our station was. My group and I even made UI College of Education STEM Twitter page!


I cannot wait to continue promoting my platform of STEM and helping out at events like this that benefit so many young minds. Thank you to Penn Elementary for having me, I so appreciate the opportunity :) Promoting my platform of STEM has been amazing, and I recently made contact with some great people that can help me continue making a difference! #GOSTEM!

On the note of thank yous, thank you to Le Chic as well for helping me find a vital piece necessary for Miss Iowa Week! I made the trip to Muscatine on Saturday morning and left with an amazing dress! We love our sponsors! I can't wait to rock this number.



Stay warm and safe! xoxo

Miss Muscatine 2015
Kristen One

No comments:

Post a Comment